From humble beginnings as a three man operation established in 1934, E.J. Fields Machine Works has become a thriving machine shop with 6 locations and 30 employees. The company was founded by E.J. Fields during The Great Depression. After moving the shop twice, its permanent location became the corner of Front Street and Ann Street. Mr. “Red” Fields sold the business to his daughter and son-in-law, Marian and Richard Romaire Sr., in 1959. Richard was joined by his brother, Ferris Romaire, and they grew the business for 43 years. In their time together they developed some of the repair processes that most machine shops still use today.
In 1995 Richard Romaire Jr. became president after 25 years of serving as a machinist, shop foreman and general manager. Ricky has engineered and built air classifiers and has also been involved with the engineering modifications to railroad bridges. His innovative ideas have made E.J. Fields an industry leader in marine repair and fabrication.
In 2005 E.J. Fields Machine works received the chamber of commerce Business of the Year. We have been a proud sponsor of the Morgan City Main Street program Capital Campaign and have worked with the Morgan City Beautification Committee.
In 2013, the company completed a 6,000 square foot expansion of the propeller shaft division. This expansion has allowed us to accommodate our customers growing needs in the marine industry. Included in the addition was the installation of 10 and 15 ton cranes with a 50,000 pound weight capacity.
We look forward to the future and the new challenges that the ever changing marine industry brings.